Thursday, January 24, 2008

The Space Between by Don Aker

Jace feels like he is the invisible middle child - sandwiched between his older brother’s suicide and his younger brother’s autism. He spends his birthday at a Mexican resort and vows to get lucky with a beach babe before coming back home. Things don’t go quite as planned. Life is never as straightforward as it seems and Jace also has to deal with family secrets and guilt.
I read a lot of books narrated by female characters, so it is really interesting to get a male perspective on sex and relationships.

1 comment:

Sukey said...

This book really surprised me. I hadn't read this description of it before I read it and judging from the blurb on the back of the book and the first few lines, I thought I was in for a shallow and simplistic story.
I also thought that I would have trouble relating to Jace, the girl-obsessed male narrator who tells us in the first line of the book that he is going to Mexico to "get laid".
There turned out to be a lot more to the story than expected. As Jace himself discovers in the book, people and circumstances are almost never as simple as they seem on the surface and I'm glad I stuck it out and didn't let my first impressions get in the way of giving myself a chance to get to know the characters in this story.