Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Shattered by Eric Walters

Have you ever left an assignment to the last minute? Well, this is exactly what Ian has done. He has left his social studies assignment to the last minute, now in order to pass his social studies glass he has to do community volunteer service. He chooses to work at a place called, “The Club” because he thinks it sound cool. He can’t believe his rotten luck when the place turns out to be a soup kitchen for the homeless. Not only is that bad, but it is also located in a really sketchy part of town. While he is going to do his first shift, Ian is almost mugged by three teenagers. A really fierce and frightening homeless mans comes to Ian’s defense with a pipe. Later, the same guy shows up at the soup kitchen, and as Ian gets to know him he find out he was a peacekeeper stationed in Rwanda. This book is about learning to get past social discrimination here in our own towns, as well as around the world.

12 comments:

f said...

This book is AMAZING!
=]

Anonymous said...

Yupyup.
I loved it.
:)

-Jenn

Anonymous said...

I thought the boy was rather unrealistic. But it was a pretty good book, and easy english too.

Anonymous said...

bluahkkk


-supro

Anonymous said...

it was too OVER THE TOP. honestly, NO ONE gooes crazy researching stuff, sure we want to know, but we dont have nightmares and stuff on them.

too unrealistic.

some things wer good though.
overall. 2.5/5

good read..

Anonymous said...

wow for me i never read books but i had to read it for schoool.. but I SWEAR this BOOK is the best book EVER !!!

Anonymous said...

I had to read this book for a school assignment I thought most of this book was really good .
Now I have to see and tell my teacher what the theme and message of this book is . Now I think the message is about people shouldn't live their lives based on things in the past that they can not change and their memories dont have to rule their lives. Any thoughts ?

Anonymous said...

Im doing the exact same thing for english class. although i have to come up with 5 important quotes that relate to my theme which is " Rwanda genoide" .. im not sure whaaat to use yet . but I think there are many messages behind this novel and the one you mentioned is definatly one of them.

Anonymous said...

I liked the book and everything but now I need 2 important excerpts for english can you name any like excerpts that tells us something like literary devices used and/or theme.

Anonymous said...

I feel like Ian right now. I have to write an essay on this book and it's due tomorrow. I also left it to the last possible minute. AARRRRGGG!!!!!

Anonymous said...

This book was amazing especially the quotes written in this book. They all had there own meaningful significant s!

Anonymous said...

I love this book so much! It's so amazing, and I think I'm going to look for some more Eric Walters books in the library next time I go there if I finished all my other books, lol!! :)