Wednesday, December 20, 2006

The Sundog Season by John Geddes

This is a book full of plot twists. The narrator is a 13 year old boy, who lives in a small, northern Ontario mining town. There are all sorts of interesting characters, like his older sister, an immigrant ice-maker for the hockey rink who lives on a tiny island, his less fortunate friend Mike, his pharmacist father, and some gossipy old ladies.

The book really picks up when the "stranger", Sgt. Martin of the provincial police arrives in town. Everyone is gossiping about why he is in their town. Various rumors abound: some say he is after drug dealers; others claim he has been sent to investigate high-grading (the practice of miners smuggling gold out of the mine to sell on the black market); and some suspect that he is a bad cop who has been sent into exile-because of something involving girls and money.

Are the rumours true? Is gossip good for a community? You decide.

2 comments:

Sukey said...

I'm curious to find out what other people think of this one. It kept me hooked until the end but then I felt like I wanted more. What did you think?

Anonymous said...

I think other then then very beginning, the book started a little slow. it eventually built itself up. I liked the ending but I felt like it lacked a little more information, especially with the sergeant and his motives...