Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Wild Orchid by Beverley Brenna

Doesn’t it suck when you have to do something you really don’t want to? That’s what happens to Taylor Jan Simon, who is forced to spend the summer with her mom and her new boyfriend in Prince Albert National Park. She really would rather stay at home in Saskatoon, but because she suffers from an autistic condition called Asperger’s Syndrome, she is not allowed to stay on her own.

The book is written in diary format, which makes me feel like I really know Taylor. It’s a really good view on how social situations can be very difficult for someone with autism, because in some ways Taylor is incredibly similar to most teenage girls and in other ways she is exceedingly different.

3 comments:

Jules said...

great stuff.
I love this book.

Jules said...

I guess I should say why I love this book. I have a friend who has Asperger's syndrome and I see how difficult things can be for him, not because of the Asperger's but because of how other people treat him. He is funny and he is smart, but not everyone sees him like that. I wish they would give him a second or third look and take the time to get to know him. I think if he wrote a diary like Taylor it would be very insightful. It would give me and others a chance to see inside his heart and mind without the mannerisms and behaviours from Asperger's that 'get in the way'. I will encourage him to read this book so we can talk about it.... I would like to know if Taylor's feelings are similar to his.

Anonymous said...

This book was amazing!
I've never known anyone with autism and don't know much about it. This book let me "see" inside Taylor's head and get an idea of what the world is like through her eyes.
It also really made me think about how we all experience the world differently and how far a little understanding can go.
Highly recommended!